The amount of choice in the gas golf cart market can be overwhelming for most buyers.
There is a very wide span of quality, cost, and performance features to choose from.
This makes a final buying decision hard!
Don’t worry though – we’ve got you covered in this review.
Our team has narrowed down the best gas golf carts on the market for the most in-demand features.
Of course, we’ve picked out the best of the best but also the best Off-road, spec-heavy, modified, and spacious carts are also tested.
Let’s dive into it!
A Summary of the Best Gas Golf Carts:
Best Overall: The Yamaha Drive 2 PTV (click to see)
Best for Modification: The EZGO RXV (click to see)
Best for Extra Space: ClubCar Onward 4 passenger (click to see)
Best for Off-Roading: Yamaha UMAX (click to see)
Best for the Latest Features: ClubCar Tempo (click to see)
The Yamaha Drive 2 PTV
The Best Overall
Rating: 9.5 /10
- This golf cart does not require a lot of maintenance, as you just have to change the oil from time to time.
- Yamaha is one of the most trusted brands in the industry.
- It is a great option, regardless of whether you are on the golf course or driving around town.
- It isn’t super smooth once you leave a paved surface.
- It is a bit more expensive than some of the other choices.
- It doesn’t quite have the range of some of the other carts.
One of the best gas golf carts you may want to consider is the Yamaha Drive 2 PTV.
In our testing, it was shown to be a relatively quiet gas golf cart with a decent range of about 250 miles and a low amount of maintenance.
This could be the right cart for you if you are looking to save both time and money.
You can choose from a variety of colors, and this golf cart gives you good handling. It will easily and reliably transport your golf clubs around the course, but you can also take this golf cart for a drive around town.
Finally, this golf cart is also very durable. As long as you take care of it, it should last for a long time. Because of its durability, it also holds its value well.
If you want a cart brand with a history of reliability and durability, consider the Yamaha Drive 2 PTV gas golf cart.
💡 Golfible Tip: If you want to swap this golf cart out for another option down the road, it should still be worth a decent amount of money if you stay up-to-date on maintenance.
The EZGO RXV Gas Golf Cart
The Best for Modifications
Rating: 9.2 /10
- This is a great golf cart if you want to make changes or modifications that customize your ride to meet your needs.
- It is a bit less expensive than many of the other choices.
- It can handle a variety of types of terrain, including off-roading.
- The suspension works independently on the rear and front wheels, which means the ride can get a bit bumpy.
- It doesn’t quite have the same level of power as other gas golf carts.
- If you make changes to the golf cart, it may not hold its value as well as other golf carts.
Next, you might want to take a closer look at the EZGO RXV gas golf cart. EZGO is one of the main competitors of Yamaha, and EZGO offers a wide variety of golf carts as well.
During our testing, we found that one of the main advantages of choosing the EZGO RXV cart was that it was easy to modify. If you want to make changes to the engine, the cup holders, or even the steering wheel, you can do so easily.
It may not offer the same level of performance as some of the Yamaha carts, but it is also a bit more affordable. It is also a rugged, durable cart that can handle leaving paved or smooth terrain easily.
If you want to save money and customize your gas golf cart, you may want to take a closer look at the EZGO RXV cart.
The ClubCar Onward 4 Passenger Gas Golf Cart
The Best for Extra Space
Rating: 9.2 /10
- The golf cart is very easy to handle on smooth terrains, such as city streets and golf courses.
- The ClubCar Onward 4-passenger golf cart features a light aluminum frame that will not rust even when exposed to moisture.
- As long as this golf cart is taken care of appropriately, it can last for decades.
- If something goes wrong with the vehicle, it is very easy to find replacement parts.
- The clutch is not as durable as some of the other golf carts and can give out quickly.
- Even though it is easy to find replacement parts, they can be a bit expensive.
- It does not handle off-roading as well. The ride can get bumpy and the vehicle can become unstable.
Next, you might want to consider the ClubCar Onward 4-passenger gas golf cart. This is a great golf cart if you are looking for an option that can seat up to four people.
If you plan on driving around town with your family, you will enjoy the comfortable interior, powerful engine, and durable seating.
It is fun, stylish, and performs well as you are playing a round on the links. For some of our testers, the vehicle’s suspension quality was not up to par with some of the other vehicles, but they found that it could still handle smooth terrain relatively easily.
In addition, this ClubCar golf cart has a reliable steering mechanism that makes the vehicle very easy to control on smooth terrain.
If you are looking for a gas golf cart that can handle city streets and typical golf course paths with room for the whole family, consider the ClubCar Onward 4-passenger cart.
📋 Keep in mind: It comes with a quality motor that provides a great range, but it might not climb as well as some of the other gas carts.
The Yamaha UMAX Gas Powered Golf Cart
The Best for Off-Roading
Rating: 9.0 /10
- This is one of the most durable gas golf carts available. If it is taken care of well, it can last for many years.
- It is large and spacious with plenty of room for people to spread out comfortably.
- The vehicle comes with added guards and flares for an extra layer of protection against environmental hazards.
- The motor is strong enough to climb steep hills easily.
- It is significantly more expensive than some of the other options available.
- This golf cart is a bit noisier than some of the other options.
- It doesn’t quite have the customizable choices of some of the other golf carts on the list.
Another option you might want to consider from Yamaha is the UMAX gas golf cart. This is an innovative gas cart that features a lifted suspension that can make off-roading feel like a city street.
Our testers loved the powerful and durable tires featured on this cart which could withstand significant wear and tear.
For added durability, this Yamaha gas golf cart also features fender flares and added guards. This makes it easier for the golf cart to stand up to collisions, branches, rocks, and weather.
📢 Need To Know: The purpose of this golf cart is to handle challenging paths, allowing drivers to go just about anywhere they want.
During testing, we found that although it is a bit noisier than some of the other golf carts, it could handle city streets, golf courses, woods, hills, and other types of off-roading.
If you are looking for a gas golf cart that can handle just about any type of terrain, consider choosing the Yamaha UMAX.
The ClubCar Tempo Gas Golf Cart
The Best for the Latest Features
Rating: 9.3 /10
- This gas golf cart has a sturdy motor that can handle hilly terrain easily.
- It has been built with a frame that can stand up to moisture without rusting.
- It is very easy to find parts, which is helpful when performing routine maintenance on the Tempo.
- This is one of the most durable golf carts on the market. It will last for a long time, and should still have a significant amount of value if you want to trade it in down the road.
- This is one of the most expensive gas golf carts on the market.
- The clutch can be irritating, particularly if you are going on a longer drive.
- This gas cart doesn’t quite have the range of some of its competitors.
This is another option from ClubCar, and the Tempo is a great option if you need a gas golf cart with the latest features in the industry. While it is very expensive compared to some of the other choices, it features a powerful engine with a tremendous amount of horsepower that can handle just about anything.
The brakes are solid, the suspension is reliable, and the tires have a narrow turning radius that gives the Tempo an extra level of control.
The Tempo features comfortable seating for two people along with a durable windshield that can take a beating.
Our testers found the USB chargers in the interior to be a convenient feature.
The seats are plush, durable, and spacious.
If you are looking for a gas golf cart that has the latest features, you should consider the ClubCar Tempo.
📢 Need To Know: The Tempo also features a durable roof that can stand up to water, UV radiation, and other environmental hazards.
Factors To Consider When Buying a Gas Golf Cart
At the same time, you need to think carefully about which gas golf cart is right for you. Some of the top factors you should consider when you are looking for a gas golf cart include:
The Speed of the Golf Cart:
You need to think about the top speed of the gas golf cart.
While a faster golf cart will get you to your final destination quicker, it may not be as fuel-efficient.
You may have to follow posted speed limits on golf courses and paths too. A speed of 15 MPH is solid for a gas golf cart, but some golf carts can go as fast as 25 mph.
Are you buying a new golf cart or a used one?
If you want to save money on your gas golf cart, you may want to go with a used option; however, keep in mind that it may not have the same features as newer golf carts.
You should also consider customizable features on your golf cart.
For example, you might be looking for USB charging ports, comfortable seats, durable wheels, and cupholders.
The Maintenance Required:
Before you purchase a golf cart, always think about the maintenance you might need to perform.
Just as you take your car to the shop from time to time, you might have to do routine maintenance on your golf cart. This could cost time and money.
How You Will Use It:
Are you someone who likes to take the cart off-roading?
Or, are you going to stick to the paved paths of golf courses?
Do you think you will take the cart into town? Make sure the cart can stand up to the wear and tear you throw its way.
While you might be focused on price, the least expensive golf cart might not last very long, so you might need to replace it soon, adding to the overall expense.
Pay attention to how long the golf cart is supposed to last.
What is the fastest a gas golf cart can go?
The fastest a gas golf cart can go is around 18-20 miles per hour. However, the maximum speed may depend on various factors such as the model, terrain, and weight of passengers or cargo.
How long do gas golf cart engines last?
With regular maintenance, gas golf cart engines typically last around 20 years. However, this lifespan can vary depending on factors such as usage, driving conditions, and how well it is cared for.